Social Justice Education Advisor
Use your teaching, curriculum development and engagement skills in this key specialist role at Caritas.
- Key Schools Engagement Role
- Social Justice Focus
- Full Time Position
Caritas Aotearoa New Zealand is the Catholic Church’s agency for justice, peace, development and emergency relief. Caritas is inspired by the Gospel and Catholic social teaching, and has a long history of responding positively and proactively to poverty and injustice in the world. Caritas, affiliated to the 165 member Caritas Internationalis confederation, supports the work of partners in poor and marginalised communities, responds to disasters and carries out education and advocacy on local and global social justice issues. In its mission, Caritas seeks to demonstrate "love in action".
The Social Justice Education team works with Catholic schools providing educational programmes and resources which assist teachers and students to form values and attitudes consistent with Gospel teachings and Catholic Social Teaching. Reports to the Social Justice Education Coordinator.
- Research, develop and contribute to the writing of educational resources for delivery in Catholic schools;
- Visit schools nationally and actively engage with young people to promote the work of Caritas, to communicate the principles upon which the Caritas mission is based and to support regular events and activities;
- Build relationships and network with teachers and educational leaders ensuring they are trained and supported in relation to social justice resources and programmes;
- Be a trained and skilled teacher, have an in-depth understanding of curriculum resources, be familiar with the New Zealand school system and be an accomplished presenter and communicator;
- Have a personal commitment to the vision, mission and values of Caritas and understand the requirements of working in a diverse, faith-based environment;
- Demonstrate a strong commitment to social justice and the principles of the Treaty of Waitangi and have the capacity to apply Catholic Social Teaching in working for justice and peace.
This is a challenging role in an organisation addressing poverty, advocating for environmental justice, partnering with indigenous peoples, responding to crises and connecting with communities. If you have a passion to make a meaningful difference, believe that you have what it takes to contribute to our team and are looking for an exciting new role we want to hear from you.
For more information contact Catharina Vossen at MICAH Partners on phone: (021) 884 749 or email your resume and covering letter to: CatharinaVossen@micahpartners.co.nz.