- We strongly support the principle of encouraging increase giving through the tax system.
- We support the retention of a tax rebate system rather than a tax deduction system for individuals.
- We would like to see the rebate/deduction limit removed for individuals, companies and Maori authorities.
- We propose that the rebate rate of 33% remain for all donors.
- We do not support the concept of a volunteer hours rebate system largely due to compliance issues.
- We submit that the law be amended to allow charities to pay up to $1,500 per person tax exempt.
- We submit that charities be allowed to pay honoraria of up to $1,000 per person tax exempt.
- We support payroll giving schemes provided the compliance costs are not too onerous for employers.
- We support the introduction of tax rebates and deductions being available for non-cash donations to charity.
- We support increasing all dollar limits such as reimbursement allowances, individual donation rebate (if limit is to remain) and honoraria to reflect the cost of inflation on a 3 yearly basis.
See also the 2008 submission on payroll giving.
Read the full submission: