Submission to Inquiry on Victims' Rights 2006
- The protection of victims’ rights is not achieved by denying the rights of prisoners, or seeing their concerns and needs as competing interests.
- The pain and suffering of victims should be heard, but it should not be responded to by calls for vengeance.
- Offenders are let off the hook by being imprisoned without reconciling with their victims.
- We support th greater involvement of victims in court process, through mechanisms such as restorative justice hearings.
- The victime, rather than the state, should be the recipient of any compensation payments.
- A focus on restorative justice would likely benefit M