Submission on the Families Commission Bill 2003
- Caritas welcomes the introduction of the Families Commission.
- However, we do not understand why the government has chosen to exclude advocacy for particular families from the role of the Commission.
- We would like to see children's rights recognised alongside those of parents.
- We would like to see the Families Commission having an overall view of all government policy, rather than simply on individual matters.
- We believe it is essential that the Families Commission considers the situation of all families in New Zealand, whatever their structure and situation.
- Caritas strongly supports the inclusion of Maori as tangata whenua in Clause 11.
- Caritas would like to see a transparent process for the appointment of Commissioners.
See also the 2003 submission on the Care of Children Bill.